Disposition of Property

All Surplus Requests are now processed through the Financial System. See the departmental Asset Management (AM) Coordinator to enter the request.

Find My AM Coordinator:

Enter a Surplus Request:

Become an AM Coordinator, training is required:

  • Register for FIN101 –  Asset Management Session
  • To submit a Surplus Request form, you will need the appropriate role in the Financial System
  • Contact your SAR Administrator to acquire this role

Special Handling Instructions

Special handling instructions for:

Electronic Media/Equipment

Campus departments are responsible for purging data from electronic devices that store data (e.g., copiers, iPads, cell phones, tablets, printers, scanners, projectors, etc). There are data security procedures that must be followed when disposing of electronic media/equipment.

  • Check with the manufacturer for verification if data storage exists.
  • If the device is equipped with internal storage, follow the instructions for data removal on the OIT website.
  • If the data cannot be erased, the internal storage drive must be removed before turning the device over to Surplus Property Services.
  • Once the hard disk has been erased, a verification label (5163 Word format or 5163 PDF format or 5963 Word Format or 5963 PDF format) must be attached to the computer equipment and contain:
    • Printed name
    • Signature
    • Date
    • Serial number
  • The serial number must be shown on BOTH of the following:
  • Improperly labeled computer equipment will not be picked up for surplus.

Laboratory Equipment

All scientific, research and laboratory equipment must be assessed for hazardous materials PRIOR to being delivered to the Surplus Property Office.

  • Review the instructions on the EH&S website for more details.
  • Any laboratory equipment that is determined to be contaminated with biological material, chemicals, or radio-isotopes must be decontaminated.
  • The hazardous waste manual with decontamination instructions can be found in the Manuals, Forms and FAQ’s section of the EH&S site.
  • This list of items requiring a decontamination form can be found in the Haz_Waste_Manual stored in the Hazardous Waste google file accessed from the same page as above.

Construction Materials & Other Waste

NC State Facilities Division Recycling Services offers assistance in landfill diversion efforts of such items as cubicle furniture, built-ins, custom furniture, etc.


Titled and tagged vehiclesTrucks, vans, cars and trailersHow to Dispose of Tagged Vehicles
Non-titled, Non-tagged vehicles including any for motorized non-highway useRiding mowers, four wheelers, forklifts, golf carts, skid steer, tractorHow to Dispose of Non-Tagged Vehicles

Emergency Pick-Up

If the customer cannot wait for our team to pick-up their surplus items, they can elect to make an appointment with the Surplus Property Receiving Coordinator for:

  • Delivery of the items. Note: All items must be clearly labeled as surplus.
  • To hire a third party provider to deliver the items. Note: AllĀ items must be clearly labeled as surplus.

Contact Us

Questions? Please email surplus_property@ncsu.edu.