As is required by both the NC Department of Administration and NC State regulations, all property, capital or non-capital, acquired by an NC State University department must be disposed of through the NC State University Surplus Property Office. Select this link to access detailed procedural instructions for surplussing assets and university property.
Whenever University assets are lost, stolen, cannibalized, destroyed, or traded in, specific procedures should be followed. Please refer to the Asset Management and Surplus Manual for additional instructions on how to handle these assets.
Disposal Requests for lost, stolen, cannibalized, destroyed, or traded-in items are processed by the AM Coordinator and routed to the Asset Management Team. This process allows for the retirement of the asset in the Asset Management Module but is not considered an accepted standard method.
AM Coordinator Role
The AM Coordinator role is required for access to the surplus disposal system. The AM Coordinator role is granted after successful completion of FIN-101: Asset Management and Surplus Training.
|Don’t know who your department’s AM Coordinator is?||Contact your Business Officer|
|Need the AM Coordinator role?||Register for FIN-101: Asset Management and Surplus Training|
|Already have the AM Coordinator role and need to submit a Disposal Request?||Read these instructions on how to submit a Disposal Request|
|Don’t know how you want to dispose of university property?||Read these instructions for transferring/disposing of university property|
Special Handling Instructions
Special handling instructions for:
Campus departments are responsible for purging data from electronic devices that store data (e.g., copiers, iPads, cell phones, tablets, printers, scanners, projectors, etc). There are data security procedures that must be followed when disposing of electronic media/equipment.
- Check with the manufacturer for verification if data storage exists.
- If the device is equipped with internal storage, follow the instructions for data removal on the OIT website.
- If the data cannot be erased, the internal storage drive must be removed before turning the device over to Surplus Property Services.
- Once the hard disk has been erased, a verification label (5163 Word format or 5163 PDF format or 5963 Word Format or 5963 PDF format) must be attached to the computer equipment and contain:
- Printed name
- Serial number
- The serial number must be shown on BOTH of the following:
- AM Surplus Request form
- Printed verification label attached to the equipment
- Improperly labeled computer equipment will not be picked up for surplus.
All scientific, research and laboratory equipment must be assessed for hazardous materials PRIOR to being delivered to the Surplus Property Office.
- Review the instructions on the EH&S website for more details.
- Any laboratory equipment that is determined to be contaminated with biological material, chemicals, or radio-isotopes must be decontaminated.
- The hazardous waste manual with decontamination instructions can be found in the Manuals, Forms and FAQ’s section of the EH&S site.
- This list of items requiring a decontamination form can be found in the Haz_Waste_Manual stored in the Hazardous Waste google file accessed from the same page as above.
Construction Materials & Other Waste
NC State Facilities Division Recycling Services offers assistance in landfill diversion efforts of such items as cubicle furniture, built-ins, custom furniture, etc.
|Titled and tagged vehicles||Trucks, vans, cars and trailers||How to Dispose of Tagged Vehicles|
|Non-titled, Non-tagged vehicles including any for motorized non-highway use||Riding mowers, four wheelers, forklifts, golf carts, skid steer, tractor||How to Dispose of Non-Tagged Vehicles|
Questions? Please email email@example.com.